If you’re having trouble getting the app connected to your PC, try these steps.
- Make sure WiFi is enabled and connected on your phone or tablet. It won’t work over 3G/4G.
- If you have an Antivirus or security program on your computer, try disabling it, or setting it to allow Touch Pilot Server. If that’s not possible, try to make sure it allows UDP port 42000 to be used, both incoming and outgoing.
- Also check to see if you have an Antivirus or security app on your tablet that could be blocking the connection. If so, try disabling it.
- Make sure that your PC and tablet are both connected to the same network, and are on the same subnet. They can either both be on the same WiFi, or the PC can be connected to your router via Ethernet cable, and your tablet is connected to the same router via WiFi.
- Make sure that your router allows multicast packets. Each router is different, so consult your router’s manual.
- If you have VPN software on your PC, try disabling any virtual network adapters on the system. You can do this through Window’s Device Manager.
- If you have more than one physical network adapter on your PC, try disabling the ones that are not connected to the same network as your tablet. Future versions of Touch Pilot Server will allow you to choose which network adapter to use.
Make sure that Touch Pilot Server is running on your PC. This window should be visible.
Open the app on your phone or tablet. You should see a connected message like this. Depending on which Touch Pilot app you’re using, it may look slightly different.
If it just says “Searching for Server…” then you have a connectivity problem. There are two common causes of this. One is that your router doesn’t allow multicast packets. Try to make sure your router has that feature turned on. On versions 1.0.1 and above, you can also get around this problem by manually entering your PC’s IP address in Touch Pilot One. On iPad, press the menu button, and on Android, press your tablet’s built in menu button. Press “Enter Server IP”, then enter the IP address of your PC.
You can find your PC’s IP address in the Touch Pilot Server window. You should see a message like “Server started on 192.168.0.5″. The number that looks like “192.168.0.5″ is your IP address. Enter this number, including the periods, into Touch Pilot One and press Save. You will see a message that says “Searching for 18.104.22.168″, then a message that you’re connected.
If that doesn’t work, you may have a firewall issue. Check your Windows Firewall settings. Open Windows Firewall by going to Control Panels > Windows Firewall. Click “Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall”.
Scroll down and see if Touch Pilot Server is in the list of allowed programs. The “Home/Work (Private)” checkbox should be checked, and the checkbox to the left of the name “Touch Pilot Server” should be checked. If either are not checked, check them. The checkbox under Public should not be checked.
If Touch Pilot Server isn’t there, click the “Change Settings” button. Then click the “Allow another program…” button.
Look for Touch Pilot Server in this list. If it’s not there, click the “Browse” button.
If you’re on 32 bit Windows, browse to C:\Program Files\Touch Pilot\Touch Pilot Server. If you’re on 64 bit Windows, browse to C:\Program Files(x86)\Touch Pilot\Touch Pilot Server. Select TPServer.exe.
Now select Touch Pilot Server in this window, and press the “Add” button.
Now you should see Touch Pilot Server in this window. Click OK.
Try opening the app on your phone or tablet again. It should connect. If you’re still having trouble, try asking a question on our forum.